Designed by the Faulkner & Browns agency and realized by Arte Charpentier Architectes, the identity of the shopping center is conferred on it by its double skin, a wooden screen, partly planted, extended by “waves” Escape over the building.
Floating like ribbons, these waves evoke the silk, which gave its name to this new district, former territory of implantation of the silk and textile industry of Lyon.
Located on the outskirts of Lyon, the new commercial center, “Carre de Soie”, includes leisure activities, a multiplex of 15 cinema halls, indoor and outdoor activities as well as an equestrian zone. The name, “Carre de Soie”, comes from the memory of old silk and textile industries that once occupied the site.
Situated within an evolving industrial zone, “Carre de Soie” is the first step in a large urban reconstruction project for the development of Lyon.
The entire complex includes 31 000 sq. meters of supermarket space and 11 500 sq. meters of retail spread out along two floors. The unique quality of this commercial center is the void of an interior mall. Circulation is controlled through an exterior street, which gives access to all the shops.
Project Design and Management:
– Desing Architect : Faulkner Browns Architects
– Architect of record and project management : Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Interior design : Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Landscape design : TUP
– Project Address : 2 rue Jacquard
– Postal Code : 69120
– City : Vaulx-en-Velin, Lyon
– Delivery date : 2008
– Program : construction of a retail and leasure park, renovation of horse race facilities
– Surface Area : 59,000 sqm
– Cost : 76,490,300 euros