The new 7-storey building, Le Praetorium, resembles a sculpted piece of crystal set on a block of granite, distinguishing itself from the sky scrapers that tower above it and complimenting the surrounding areas and connecting routes. The planted terrace on the roof, completes the contemporary feel.
The shopping centre which formerly occupied the site, which was built in 1972, had been standing empty since the departure of its last owner. To create a project worthy of its very contemporary surroundings, and to meet the international environmental standards required of office buildings at La Défense, demolition-reconstruction was the only viable solution. The new taller 7-storey building occupies the same footprint with a total floor area of 10000m².
It also complies with the provisions of “The New Office”, a concept developed by Capital & Continental in collaboration with international engineers, which defines a set of specifications allowing office design to go beyond what was hitherto possible in terms of efficiency, flexibility and sustainability.
The building is HQE and THPE certified.
The building is topped with a 1,000m² wood-decked terrace and long planters containing a collection of small flowering trees and waves of shaped box hedges interspersed with perennials. One of the planters also contains a beehive, in fitting with the EPAD’s desire to develop a network of hives throughout the Défense district. Double-glazed zinc facades and a multiple-zone air conditioning system make this building a model in terms of environmental construction.
– Client: SC Bureaux BUREF Capital & Continental
– Planning: Public establishment for planning in the Défense district
– Architect representative: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Consultant architect: Robert Lewis Turner
– Interior architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Landscaping: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Screen printing: Véronique Sabatier
– Structural: Terrel
– Building services – fluids: SWP
– Facades: Goyer
– Quantity surveyor: BMA
– Inspection: Socotec
– Safety inspection: IMOTEP 91
– Address: 7 Terrasse des Reflets
– Post code: 92400
– City: Paris
– Completion: 2009
– Programme: renovation of an office building (demolition, asbestos removal and reconstruction of a taller building)
– Environmental certifications: BREEAM, HQE, THPE
– Rental office space: Yes
– Completion period: 2007-2009
– Total surface area: 11,000 sqm
– Cost: 29.3M€