‘Les Ateliers’, a leisure, cultural and shopping centre, is situated within a complex urban context on the site of a former industrial zone to the east of Grenoble, close to the university campus, and the district of Saint Martin d’Hères. This complexity serves to reinforce the unifying nature of the project as a place where people go to meet and enjoy spending time.
The turn-of-the-century industrial heritage of the site, with old hydroelectric power stations against the backdrop of mountains, give this place a very unique character. The challenge, therefore, was to develop a range of commercial activities ensuring a smooth transition with the historical nature of the site.
Designed as an open area, the project reflects current and future trends in shopping centres. The combination of activities, firmly oriented towards the enhancement of time and leisure in a pleasant and natural environment, aims to draw a large segment of the population.
Each area and each building is designed to simplify the rapport between the various components and to achieve the best possible comfort for users and visitors.
The programme consists of 41,000m² net floor area, on a site of approximately 3 hectares, including:
– 3 existing industrial buildings to be renovated as shops,
– 6 new buildings containing shops and leisure activities,
– a minimum of 850 parking spaces
– a provisional commercial programme comprising 15 medium sized shops, 15 restaurants, 80 boutiques, a 4-6 screen cinema, a bowling alley, an events hall and a climbing wall.
– Client: Saint-Martin-d’Hères city hall / Territoires 38
– Property Development: APSYS
– Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Landscaping: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Planned development zone Architect: Gilles Charignon Architectures
– Structural: Berim
– Building services – Fluids: G.E.C.C
– HQE: Alto
– Quantity surveyor: DAL (Delporte Aumond Laigneau)
– Circulation studies: Sareco
– Address: Avenue Gabriel Péri
– Post code: 38400
– City: Saint-Martin-d’Hères
– Completion: 2015
– Programme: conversion of an old industrial site
– Total surface area: 35,000m²