In 2000, the urban transport plan, approved by the Grand Nancy metropolitan area, foresaw the completion and entry into service of the new TVR trolleybus transport (like a tram on tyres). The plan included an extension of the pedestrian zone, the creation of an intermodal transport hub next to the station at Place de la République, as well as an improved transport service to outlying residential districts such as Haussonville and Mouzimpré. Also proposed was a cycle network and the modernization of buses for use by the handicapped. At the same time, construction began on the new Paris-Strasbourg High Speed Line (TGV-Est or LGV) which saw completion in 2007.
The new intermodal transport hub by Arte Charpentier is pure and simple in its architectural composition, blending into its environment, composed mainly of historic buildings. The layout enables the various constituent areas to be linked together with a coherent organisation. The new building is connected to the current station by means of two principal spaces protected by large glass canopies. One of these, the train hall provides the interface between the station and the concourse Place Thiers. The other, the tramway hall, plays a very important role in the reorganisation of the Place de la République site, integrating the new TVR station.
The rest of the building, containing shops, public services, and offices, is accessed from the tramway hall. The building facade is an original creation promoting Nancy’s historical connection with the glass-making industry, combined with another of the city’s emblematic materials, limestone. Composed of printed glass panels, its transparency on the ground and first floors, reveals the activity within, bringing the building to life. The resulting luminosity helps create a relaxed and reassuring atmosphere and aids orientation within the building.
Comprising an office building and two public halls, this operation fully equipped Nancy station for the arrival of the TGV-Est high speed train line.
– Client: République buildling: SCI Nancy – République / Train hall: SNCF
– User: SNCF
– Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Associate architect: Atelier Maurand et Vermeil
– Execution manager / worksite coordination: DM Ingenierie
– Reinforced concrete & metal structures: Structure 3000
– Glass facades: CEEF
– Building services HVAC & Plumbing: CRYSTAL Région Est
– Electrical building services: Huguet & Associés
– Health and safety: SOCOTEC – Nancy
– Surveyor: SCP Suaire Et Didier
– Ground studies: Fondasol Est
– ICF Env: Agence Centre Est
– Inspection: SOCOTEC – Nancy
– Health and safety coordiantion: SOCOTEC – Nancy
– Address: 3 Place Thiers
– Post code: 54000
– City: Nancy
– Completion: 2008
– Programme: extension of Nancy station
– Surface area: 10300m²