Located on either side of the A86, a major highway leading into Paris, near the Stade de France stadium, this project enjoys exceptional visibility. With the two sentinel-like blocks, the analogy of city gates, and hence its name «Les Portes de France», is well justified. The extension of these blocks to either side along the Mail du Stade de France is articulated so as to adapt to the scale of neighbouring buildings.
The different forms of this project can be divided into three main families:
– The ‘portes’, or gates, are the buildings visible from the A86. They are glass-skinned and give a light and dynamic allure to the composition. This dynamic quality is given more force through the addition of a floating cornice ‘wing’ which hovers above each building. Lighting from below at night, enhances the effect.
– The main buildings are treated in light opaque materials, transitioning in height to that of neighbouring buildings.
– A curving façade joins the ‘portes’ to the main buildings, thus softening the overall silhouette and creating a scale transition.
The programme includes 26500m² of offices on 7 floors with ground floor and 2 corporate restaurants. Spring-action shock absorber technology has been used to isolate the buildings from vibrations from the motorway.
From the passerby, the double-height entrance hall to each building radiates colour and light, like a signal to attract attention. The glazed facade appears to enter the halls, extending the pavement into the building. The effect is further reinforced by the use of a mirror façade internally and carefully positioned lighting.
– Client: Capital & Continental
– Planning: SIDEC
– Architect representative: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Interior architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Consultant architect: Robert Lewis Turner
– Foundations, primary structure, CES: Petit
– Glazed facade: Goyer
– Building services – air conditioning: Cargocaire
– Building services – electrical: Fouassin
– Building services – plumbing: Saga
– Kitchen fitting-out: MRG
– Electricity generators: VIC
– Landscaping: Fournet
– Structural: Terrell
– Building services – fluids: DWP
– Floors: Technosol
– Quantity surveyor: BMA
– Inspection: Socotec
– Design-safety coordinator: Imotep 91
– Construction-safety coordinator: ExperTeam
– Address: Avenue du Stade de France
– City: Paris
– Completion: 2008
– Programme: office building
– Floor area: 26,479 sqm
– Environmental certification: HQE