The project has been carried out as part of a long-term lease established between the University Hospital of Rennes and the company H’ENNEZ SNC whose design and construction team representative is Eiffage Construction Brittany.
The medico-technical and adult haematology clinic building, houses the pharmacy purchasing service, the sterilization unit, the internal pharmacy, an extension of the biology laboratories and the haematology unit which includes consultations, day hospital, and care unit.
The form of the building mirrors the existing laboratories arranged in parallel bands with courtyards allowing a majority of spaces to receive natural lighting.
The 4 storey building fits into the right angle formed by a 10-storey hospital block and the 2-storey laboratories, and recesses and cut-aways reduce its perceived height relative to the laboratories and from the street. The exterior cladding material of the facades is off-white and light beige matte reconstituted-stone to blend in with the stone facing of the existing hospital buildings. The roof terrace has a gravel protection, and service ducts are concealed from view by metal grating panels.
The patio terraces are planted to enhance the views from inside.
Protected care unit divided into 3 sectors with 14 beds: one with 6 and two with 4 beds. Various entry locks give access to the protected unit for personnel, equipment, waste and visitors. External passages allow maintenance and cleaning. They also serve as emergency exits.
Adult haematology clinic: traditional unit with 21 beds, 4 consulting rooms, day care centre with 9 beds and 3 armchairs, medical and administrative management offices and 3 meeting rooms.
Molecular genetics, functional genomics and haematology laboratories.
Ground floor level:
– Hospital pharmacy and pharmaceutical purchasing services, passageways and links between the existing buildings.
– The duty laboratory premises, analysis delivery area, cytology and automated systems.
– Link with the hospital block, suitable for wheelchair users.
– Access for mobile patients between the main hospital block and drug dispensary counters.
– Access between the pharmacy and pharmaceutical purchasing departments and the waiting rooms and reception.
– Delivery area for pharmaceutical and laboratory products, a loading platform equipped with dock levellers, and various premises forming the central sterilisation unit.
– The access hall on the north facade with a turning area for emergency vehicles, taxis and ambulances.
Staff cloakrooms, archives and store rooms, automated storage clearance area and technical premises.
Automated storage area served by pallet lifts, and laboratory archives.
– Client : Hennez SNC
– User: CHU Rennes
– Team representative: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Contractor: Eiffage Construction Bretagne Technical design
– Building services and civil engineering: Cabinet Bourgeois
– Structural consultant: Castel
– Building services – fluids: orclum Bretagne
– Medical fluids: Betom Ingenierie
– Acoustics: Lasa
– Laboratory consultant: Clima+
– Hospital design consultant: Iqualis
– Sterilization consultant: Matachana
– Automation: Savoye
– Title: Medico-technical building and adult haematology clinic
– Project address: 2 Rue Henri le Guilloux
– Post code: 35033
– City: Rennes
– Completion: 2010
– Programme: Adult haematology Clinic and purchasing pharmacy.
– Specific services: Sterilization unit, internal pharmacy, biology laboratories extension, and haematology unit which includes consultations, day hospital, and care unit
_ Specific facilities: Automated storage DMS, tray silos, pneumatic dispatch network, autoclave, fume cupboards, isolators, PSM system.
– Floor area: 18380m²
Photo credits : DR Arte Charpentier Architectes