This innovative training centre for Veolia, situated at Jonage in the eastern outskirts of Lyon, provides professional education in matters of energy, transport and water purification. The building composition draws upon natural elements to reflect the company’s preoccupation with environmental concerns, and is organised, and inspired, by the idea of the Agora. The scheme is orientated towards the south benefitting from views of the landscape, sun exposure and shelter from the prevailing north winds.
The central garden acts as the focus of the scheme, facilitating circulation and connection between the separate wings, and provides a sheltered space for social interaction. The dry pebble river which crosses the garden is accompanied by stepped terraces providing a place for employees to enjoy break time or hold informal meetings in the open air. Seating areas punctuate the footpaths and benefit everywhere from the presence of generous planting.
As a training centre for environmental issues, the project demonstrates some of the innovatory principles it teaches, and the alternative management of rainwater is a case in point. Planted drainage channels accompany the road network, sunken lawns collect and filter run-off from the roofs, and a shallow basin collects rainwater which feeds a reservoir used for watering the gardens.
– Client: Véolia Environnement
– Project Manager and Environmental Project Manager: Artélia
– Architect Team Leader: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Interior Designer: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Landscape Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Heating and Ventilation: Elithis
– Building Services – Plumbing: Elithis
– Civil Engineering: Bérim
– Building Services – Electricity: Elithis
– HQE environmental consultant: Elithis
– Structural: RBS
– Acoustics: EAI
– Quantity Surveyor: RPO
– Technical Inspection: APAVE
– Safety Consultant: APAVE
– Title: Campus Véolia Environnement Centre-Est
– Address: 25, rue Lionel Terray
– Postcode: 69330
– Town: Jonage
– Delivery: 4 juillet 2012
– Programme: Training campus (staff: 367 persons)
– Specific services: 55 bedrooms, 14 lecture rooms, 5 laboratories and practical areas, 11 workshops, 1 auditorium with 150 seats, carpark for 100 cars and 40 motorcycles,(20 outside/20 inside)
– Total area: 3.5 ha
– Photography: Géraldine Bruneel / Philippe Hervouet (bedrooms) / VMZINC – photoarchitecture.com
– Environmental certification: HQE initiative – Certification NF Office buildings (9 criteria Very Effective 4 Effective / 1 Basic)
– Environmental Performance : BBC attainment
For more information on the architecture and interior design of the project, click here !