The Psar Thmey Central Market, built in 1935, under the supervision of the architect Chauchon to the designs of architect Jean Desbois (1891 – 1971), was to become one of the symbols of Phnom Penh. Its cross-shape represents the confluence of the three rivers, the Mekong, Tonlé Sap and Bassac, which flow through the city. The reinforced concrete structure supports an elegant cupola from which four wings radiate outwards. The cupola stands 26m high, making it the second highest in the world at the time.
In 2005, Arte Charpentier was commissioned to restore and revive this emblematic monument. The ambitious renovation project, which extends the covered area over the external market, respects and compliments the unique architecture of the building. The organisation of the market has been rationalised, and its accesses and alleys have been re-designed. The change to this historic building reconciles it with its environment and restores its urban presence.
In 2013, Pierre Clément was awarded the Royal Order of Sahametrei by way of thanks to Arte Charpentier Architects for services rendered to the people of Cambodia.
This project, funded by the French Development Agency (AFD), is a contribution to the economic development of Phnom Penh, in Cambodia.
The project includes the renovation of the historic Phnom Penh market and the design of an extension to the covered market, on widened pavements, offering a peripheral promenade open to the city. The new covered market stalls provide better health and safety, and comfort, for the benefit of both stall holders and the local population.
One of the main objectives was to keep all 3,000 stall holders on the site throughout the improvement works. This required a subtle phasing to enable the market to continue without interruption.
– Client: Phnom Penh City Authorities
– Contractor: Villa Parc
– Funding: AFD, French development agency
– Client Assistance: KOSAN
– Team representative: Arte Charpentier Architectes, S.E. Vann Molyvann
– Technical design consultant: Archétype
– Site administration: Thong Virakpheap, Long Vanda
Original design: Jean Desbois
– Address: Neayok Souk, ភ្នំពេញ 855
– City: Phnom Penh
– Country: Cambodia
– Completion: 2011
– Programme: renovation of the historic building and construction of new market halls
– Total area: 13,000m²
– Duration of work: 26 months