The renovation of the Hôtel Montesquiou and its grounds in Paris’ 7th arrondissement, has re-established the symmetrical layout of the original design, with the building at the centre of the composition. The removal of internal partitioning to create a large reception hall has improved views of the Cour d’Honneur which has been restored to its former appearance as the garden of a stately home.
Continuous paving in sandstone setts creates a seamless transition between the gardens and the wings of the building facing Rue Monsieur. The colour and texture of finishes provide a homogeneous appearance to external spaces.
The gardens and bowling lawn have been restored in the spirit of the original dating from the 18th century, with a formal layout based on a central, symmetrical composition. A modern touch is, however, added to the scheme with the articulation of paving and the choice of street furniture.
This building, formerly occupied by the Ministry for Cooperation, is now home to the new Chancellery of the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China. Apart from its primary function as a place for the Chinese Ambassador to receive official delegations, the project also comprises offices and official accommodation.
Certain modifications were necessary to the facades and interiors of the wing facing Rue Monsieur, which contains administrative offices. However, the building and gardens have been fully restored without any significant changes to the external appearance.
– Client: Embassy of the People’s Republic of China
– Client assistant: Arte Charpentier Architectes
Project Design Team
– Architect representative: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Interior Designer: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Landscape Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Interior design and decoration (18th century style): Laurent Bourgois, architect
Technical Design Consultants
– Structural: Conception Service Consulting
– Mechanical Engineering – Fluids: MCI
– Acoustics: General Acoustics
– Kitchen design: M. Gaury
– Quantity surveyor: ATEC
– Civil Engineering: CL Infra
– Inspection: Qualiconsult
– Health and safety: Qualiconsult
– Fire safety: SSICOOR
– Audiovisuals: IEC
– Address: 16-20 rue Monsieur, 43-47 Boulevard des Invalides
– Postcode: 75007
– City: Paris
– Completion: 2015
– Programme: renovation
– Surface area: 7,951m²
Photo credits: LK Photographe / Arte Charpentier Architectes