Silex II, situated in the Part-Dieu business quarter of Lyon, consists of the refurbishment of an existing tower, with a new, taller addition to its north side. A lower building of 9 storeys bridges the space with the neighbouring Silex I.
The existing tower, designed in the 1970s by Jean Zumbrunnen, Charles Delfante and René Provost, represents an important part of the architectural heritage of the Part-Dieu area.
Arte Charpentier’s approach to the restructuring project gave much thought, with regards to urban, architectural and technical aspects, as to how to restore the building to its former status as an important urban component of the district, giving it a new lease of life and reinvigorating its surroundings. With an uncompromisingly modern appearance, the architectural language employs repeating rhythms and contrasting materials and textures to create an attention-grabbing feature of Lyon’s skyline.
A double-storey ‘plinth’ provides a solid base to the architectural composition and opens onto a large forecourt in keeping with the scale of the surroundings. In this way, the project integrates well into the urban fabric reinforcing its links with the city.
The new project provides 32 000 m² of office space, with shared facilities including a cafeteria, meeting rooms, a gym, an auditorium, a caretaker service, and a company restaurant.
With a rational plan, a clear organisation, and achieving a high level of environmental performance using innovatory solutions, the building provides the full spectrum of facilities in line with the highest office standards.
– Client: Foncière Des Régions
– Client delegate: Auchan
– Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes & MA Architectes
– Interior Designer: Arte Charpentier Architectes
Technical design consultants
– Environmental: Green Affair
– Structural: Terrell Group
– Building services – fluids : Barbanel
– Quantity surveying: AE75
– Façades: Arcora
– Inspection: SOCOTEC Paris
– Kitchen design: Restauration Conseil
– Acoustics: AVLS
– Lighting design: Les Éclaireurs
– Landscaping: Paso Doble
– Surveyor: Operandi Charmasson
– Address: 9, rue des Cuirassiers
– Postcode: 69003
– Town: Lyon
– Programme: offices and shared facilities
– Floor Area: 31 000 m² (including 25 000 m² office space)