Emblematically located at the entrance of the city, La Maison du Citoyen, in the shape of a spiral, symbolises the city’s movement and dynamism.
The blueprint of the building, based on a square with a large courtyard illuminated from above, is an interpretation of the traditional habitat. In this habitat, a courtyard, accompanied by a skylight, symbolises the heart of the home. It is a “salon” for citizens, a meeting place, a space of exchange, rest, exhibition and visiting.
– Contracting authority: Wuhan Urban Planning Office
– Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes (Pierre Chambron, Wen Yi Zhou)
– Design office: Wuhan Architecture Design Institute
– City: Wuhan
– Competition victory: 2010
– Completion date: 2013
– Surface area: 80 000 m²
– Plot: 10 hectares
– Environmental approach: 3 Star Green Architecture Certificate, model operation in the Hubei region, HQE, LEED
Photo credits: ©Shen Zhonghai