The new head offices of Axa France are situated on the La Défense-Nanterre extension of the major Parisian axis leading from the Champs Elysées towards the West. Three 8-storey buildings face a series of large, functional and pleasant public areas stepping up the gently rising terrain. These south-facing spaces can accommodate all types of seasonal and permanent events, generating a new urban impetus.
Within a stone’s throw of the ‘Grande Arche’ of the Défense business district, the site lies in the largely residential district of Nanterre, where development policy seeks to reconcile this dual character of its territory. The project takes advantage of this duality, articulating the transition from grand historic urban axis to suburban habitat, and accompanying the change in scale from the monumental to the individual. This is achieved through the use of detailing, to be seen both in the handling of form and the assembly of materials.
Contributing to the conviviality of the place and accompanying the transition from business to residential, the second floor balconies have been designed as small-scale themed gardens, changing along the length of the building, for the benefit of users and neighbours alike.
The project is permanent and lasting in its respect for the human dimension and the quality and fitness for its use. It is not a timeless building, rather it is of its age.
Comprising three 8-storey office buildings, connected by an underground gallery, the project also includes a company restaurant, a conference hall with 279 seats, shops on the ground floor and two underground levels of car parking.
The project design takes into account the recommendations relating to HQE criteria, particularly in terms of acoustics and the reduction of noise pollution, water management and the recycling of rain water for planted areas and for cleaning the car parks. The quality of the construction materials, waste management and ‘green building site’ recommendations were also adopted.
– Client: SILIC
– Client delegate: SOCOMIE
– Tenant: AXA France
– Scheduling consultant: Protokol
– Planning: EPA Seine Arche (EPASA)
– Project manager: SFICA
Project Design Team
– Principle architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes / Simonetti-Malaspina & Associés
– Consultant architect: Buffi & Associés
Technical design consultants
– Building services HVAC: SFICA
– Energy production: Bérim
– Building services – plumbing: Bérim
– Restaurant: Bérim
– Civil engineering: Bérim
– Structural: SFICA
– Lifts: SFICA
– Facades: Arcora
– Acoustics: Acoustique & Conseil
– HQE consultant: Pascal Gontier
– Light consultant: Ingélux
– Lighting consultant: Philippe Almon
– Communication consultant: Cap Bleu Conseil
– Quantity surveying: SFICA
– Health and safety coordinator: Véritas
– Inspection: Socotec
– Fire safety systems: SFICA
– Fire safety: Cabinet Casso
– Address: Boulevard de Pesaro
– Postcode: 92 000
– City: Nanterre
– Completion: 2006
– Programme: design of 3 buildings
– Rental office space: No
– Surface area: 46,172m²
– Environmental certifications: HQE
– Award: SIMI award 2006, new building category