Essilor, a world leader in ophthalmic optics, commissioned us to design their new European Research & Development Centre in Créteil.
The architecture reflects the building’s function by its different treatment of the upper and lower parts. The bottom laboratory space is dominated by vertical sun-shaders, and the upper part, where the offices are, by horizontal lines of windows. Here strips of lacquered white aluminium alternate with bands of glass.
The building style was purposefully kept simple and modest to suit the activity it houses. This specialist facility enables ESSILOR to continue to innovate and to propose increasingly efficient products.
Arte Charpentier were the winners of the design competition, launched in February 2009, to develop a building of 11000m² on 4 levels, adjoining their existing facilities.
The two lowest levels house the research activities: industrial workshops on the ground floor and laboratories on the floor above. The two uppermost floors house the management and administrative offices. In-between these two sets of activities, the technical facilities and service rooms occupy almost the entire middle floor of the building. This is to optimize energy efficiency and space requirements. The two buildings, the old and the new, now form a single coherent entity and are accessible from a common entrance lobby. Opening directly onto this area, the cafeteria and the resource centre are a meeting place and focus for the social life of the centre.
Determined in its commitment to sustainable development and a respect for the environment, Essilor has defined ambitious environmental goals:
– BREEAM Very good
– BEPOS (positive energy buildings) for the offices
– HQE exploitation rating
The centre is also “Handi-Welcoming”.
The building, therefore, addresses all the concerns of modern society going above and beyond meeting all the necessary technical requirements.
– Project owner : Essilor International
– User: Essilor
– Architect: Arte Charpentier Architectes
– Environment and energy assistance: Alithis Benefficience
– Structure: SNC Lavalin
– Acoustics: Acoustique & Conseil
– Economist: BMA
– Inspection: Qualiconsult
– CSPS : APAVE
– AMO : Elithis – Egidia
– Project address: ZAC du Clos-des-Ridolles
– Post code: 94000
– City: Créteil
– Delivery: 2013
– Project program: Construction of Essillor’s European R&D center
– Specific services: With rooms used for ophthalmologic research and new products development
– Project surface area: 11,000 sqm
– Environmental certifications: Démarche HQE, BREEAM «very good», BEPOS (tertiary part)
– use of solar pannels and geothermics
– Photos credits : Christophe Valtin